The City Palace stands on a hill on the banks of Lake Pichola, surrounded by crenulated walls. Built in 1567, it is composed of 4 major palaces and several minor palaces that form a single faÃ§ade. Its main entrance is through a triple arched gate, the Tripolia, built in 1725. The gate leads to a series of courtyards, corridors and gardens.
The Rai Angan (Royal Courtyard) has a shrine, which is the oldest part of Udaipur. It is here that Udai Singh met an ascetic who suggested this site for Udaipur. The centrally located 17th century Mor Chowk (Peacock Courtyard) gets its name from inlaid glass mosaics of peacocks on its walls. Other exotic rooms include the Krishna vilas dedicated to the memory of a 16 year old princess's tragic suicide, the Zenana Mahal (Palace of the Queens) and the Chini Chitrasala, which has exquisite mosaics and blue and white ceramics.
To the west of main gate lies Khush Mahal (Palace of Happiness) and to its south lies Shambhu Niwas, built in the 19th century. The third palace is Shiv Niwas, which is now a hotel. This was followed by Fateh Prakash, which is also a hotel and known for its Durbar Hall and Crystal Gallery.
We highly recommend a visit to the City Palace. A complete tour takes approximately 2 hours. Our Concierge can arrange English, French, German, Italian and Spanish speaking guides.
Distance from the Hotel: 2.7 kilometres
Driving time: 20 minutes