Local tourist sites
Gateway of India (2 kilometers)
Planned to commemorate the visit in 1911 of the first British monarchs to set foot on Indian soil, King George V and Queen Mary. Foundations were laid in 1913, and the city’s most enduring symbol was finally opened by Viceroy Earl of Reading in December 1924. This George Whittet design is modelled on the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. Other than viewing this landmark, one can enjoy a pleasant boat ride into the sea or take a boat to the Elephanta caves.
Chatrapati Shivaji Vastu Sangralaya (2.2 kilometers)
Also designed by George Whittet, the foundation stone was laid by the Prince of Wales in 1905. The building completed in 1914, served as a military hospital during World War I. This domed masterpiece previously known as Prince of Wales Museum now houses a famed collection of art, sculpture and china.
Open daily from 10.00 a.m. to 6.30 p.m., except on Monday.
Pherozshah Mehta Gardens (6 kilometers)
Popularly known as the Hanging Gardens, the gardens were laid out in 1881 on top of a reservoir which supplies water to Mumbai. L ocated in an exclusive residential area, the
gardens command a breath taking view of the city.
Open from 6.00 a.m. to 9.30 p.m. daily.
Flora fountain (2.5 kilometers)
The Church Gate, one of the three entrances to the centuries old Bombay castle is where the Flora Fountain stands today. The Flora Fountain was built in honour of Sir Bartle Frere, to whom Mumbai owes many of her great public buildings. A variety of shopping can be done around the Fountain area.
Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus or Victoria Terminus (3 kilometers)
Records show that the Gallows tank where public hangings took place once stood in the vicinity of this railway terminus. The first train steamed out from this station to Thane in 1853. Work commenced in 1878 on the Victoria Terminus of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway. Designed by Frederick W. Stevens, it was completed in 1888. One of the largest gothic structures in South Mumbai, it has an imposing dome surmounted by a life size statue of Queen Victoria.
Completed by the late 1930’s, Marine Drive, the “Queen’s N ecklace” became the most splendid sea side promenade in Mumbai. Running in a crescent from the hotel, it provides an ideal jogging track and a fabulous view of the bay.
Haji Ali Mosque (8 kilometers)
This mausoleum, built in memory of the muslim saint, Haji Ali, is out at sea. During low tide, it is approachable on foot by a narrow causeway.
Crawford market (4 kilometers)
Also known as Jyotiba Phule Market, situated at the junction of Dadabhoy N owroji Road and Carnac Road, it was built in 1871. The main section is a covered market where vegetables, fruits, fish, meat and poultry, flowers and provisions are sold. The market covers a large area with individual lanes dedicated to a specific product. Almost any product you require
can be sourced from this market.
*All distances are from The Oberoi, Mumbai